Migration Safari - Oct to Mid July
In Search of the Migration
The Serengeti is one of those rare places on earth that generally exceeds our expectations. Often portrayed in films, it is as depicted with endless plains stretching as far as the horizon, punctuated by rocky outcroppings and flat-topped acacia trees. In a day’s game viewing one may see a cheetah standing on a rock looking out for the next meal for her cubs, giraffe in their classic pose sipping water from a nearby stream, and a large herd of elephants lumbering to new areas to find their daily meal. Both the Maasai Mara and the Serengeti always have great resident game including cheetah, lions, hippo, giraffe and many antelope species. The visuals are as you have imagined.
During certain times of the year, the herds will be greater in numbers in one region or the other. We do suggest you select your safari itinerary for the time of year you are traveling and not just because you must go to the Mara or must go to the Serengeti. It is best to concentrate in one of the areas searching for the game rather than spending time transiting. This will avoid excessive road travel and expenses when there is not a worthwhile gain in the game viewing. We will give you our recommendations based on your safari goals and your time of travel.
The emphasis of this safari will be the Serengeti in Tanzania. Every year, 1.5 million wildebeest, zebra and gazelle make the trek from the Serengeti to the Maasi Mara and back down again in an oblong pattern driven by the rains and in search of food and water. The Born Free Migration safaris selects the base for exploration during the time of year you will be traveling. While the wildlife offers no guarantees to the traveler, this itinerary should optimize your game viewing opportunities from October-mid July.
It has always been difficult to predict exactly when and where you will encounter the herds but with 44 years of planning safaris, we have had a good track record. Sadly, we have seen pattern changes which we feel are due to the climate changes. It will take years to see if the migration has changed its course. Until then, we will plan your safari to have your base in a central location, giving you the most flexibility on game drives. With unlimited game viewing, our guides have the best ability to optimize your safari experience.
Safari Consultant Notes:
1. There is no real 'best time' to go on safari, but there are the best locations to access the migrating herds. The question is when do you want to travel and where can you maximize your game viewing experience during your time of travel? Do not just a book a safari that visits the Serengeti. Your base for exploration is key. Born Free can you guide you through this process.
2. The Serengeti and Mara always have excellent resident game from elephants to lions, cheetah, hyenas, buffalo and all plains game.
3. River crossings are impossible to predict. It happens in a split second and can vary from year to year. With all the experience in the world, no safari company or guide can promise this sighting. What we can promise you is excellent guides with a keen eye for spotting the wildlife and an unlimited game drives according to park rules. This will maximize your safari experience.
For those whose main goal is trying to catch the river crossing, contact the Born Free migration specialist. This trip can be customized to increase your chances of seeing the potential crossing. Time can be adjusted to visit the Serengeti and the Maasai Mara in Kenya.
Featured Inclusions: Flight from the Serengeti to Arusha, Unlimited Game Drives in Tanzania, Deluxe Safari Vehicles, Park Entrance Fees, Born Free Concierge Service, 24/7 Emergency US & Africa Contacts, East Africa Medical Evacuation Limited Membership, Pre-Journey Briefing Booklet, Born Free Customized Backpack, Luggage tags, Personalized Bound Final Itinerary.
Full list of inclusions and tariff details will be sent upon inquiry.
Born Free Exclusive Option: All Safari Guide Gratuities can be included.
Born Free Exclusive Option: Luxury Air Conditioned Safari Vehicle with WiFi, iPad, Charging Points, and Fully stocked fridge with your choice of beverages.
Journey Priced From: $7986 per person, double occupancy.
Rates are in US dollars and include current taxes & park fees - subject to change.
Rates shown are starting price based on Shoulder Season - Bronze Accommodations.
Rates include flight from Serengeti to Arusha.
Rates do not include international or intercontinental airfares.
Request rate if you would like a single room.
Is this your dream trip?
The Great Migration safari is for anyone in search of the finest game viewing in the world. Born Free’s trips are not just designed as a check off list but geared to where the best game viewing will be when you are traveling. You will cover a lot of ground on this safari and move from one area to another. The lay of the land is interesting with scenery constantly changing and something new to be seen each day. From your farthest destination in the Serengeti, you fly back to Arusha.
Tailor-Made Itinerary: The Migration Safari can be tailored to suit your vision and specifications. Travel in the style that meets your comfort level, to the places that interest you the most at a pace that you'll enjoy. We can combine safari grade camps, extend into the Maasai Mara in Kenya, add Zanzibar or whatever you wish. Your research has led you to Born Free, now let our Specialists tailor-make your journey the way you want to experience it.
- Private Journey
- Choice of Accommodations
- Exclusive Born Free Safari Guide throughout your trip
- itinerary Optimized for Best Game Viewing Opportunities
- In-Depth Serengeti Safari (Visits Two Distinctive Regions)
- Maximized Unlimited Game Drives
- Unobstructed Views from Special Open Top Vehicles
- Lake Manyara Treetop Walkway
- Ngorongoro Crater
- Night Game Drives and Nature Walks
- Maasai Cultural Interactions
- Internal Safari Flights included
- Nature Walks
- Meet the Maasai
- Ancient Man Site at Olduvai Gorge & Museum
- Deluxe Safari Vehicles equipped with Binoculars & Cool Box
- Maasai Mara Safari in Kenya (optional extension)